Friday, October 1, 2010

Igors wrath

The storm ended with one fatality, and there was a lot of damage to bridges and roads. 90+ towns were cut off from the rest of the island. Winds clocked at over 170 km/h and rainfall for the day at over 200 mm. The Canadian Military was called in to help repair roads and build temporary bridges.
We have had many storms in the past that have caused localized damage to one town or another, and it was taken in stride but this affected a very large area and it will take some time to repair everything. I would post pictures of the flooding in my area, but their so pitiful compared to what happened across the bay from me. I was lucky. I attached a link to someone who compiled a mass of pictures taken that day. that says it all.
http://www2.swgc.ca/npritchett/

It's been just over a week since the storm, and there is a fleet of trucks and heavy equipment working to repair the roads so supplies can be brought into the communities. Out of the 90 that were cut off, only 3 remain isolated.
I'd go sailing tomorrow but winds are to range from 20 to 35 knots.
another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment