Tuesday, May 26, 2009

More hull work

I finished sanding the hull this evening and cleaned it off. I mixed up some epoxy filler and made fillets around the skeg/keelson, and on the lowest plank edge. I also touched up some minor divot's around the boat here and there. So whats shown is the globs that have yet to be sanded off. The stem area looks pretty good. its nice and even and the skeg I attached has a nice taper to the main stem with epoxy filler. I marked out where the screw holes are on a strip of wood and am using it for a template for when I make the Teflon/poly/plastic runner rub strip. it will run from just under the front pad eye to the centerboard case. then pic up again at the rear of the case.A $1 spatula from the dollar store was used for making the radius on my large skeg fillets. The small fillets made on the planking and other places was done so by this little gizmo. It's for attaching to a caulking gun, but I just use it loose, I also put my epoxy in a old/used Ziploc bag and cut out a corner. like decorating a cake. this was I get even spread of filler and little waste. it's much cleaner to work with also. the excess is scraped off with the long edge and put back in a bowl for use in the bag again.
I clean it off when done and soak it in vinegar and wipe clean for future use.

Time: 3 hr


  1. AnonymousMay 27, 2009

    Several times watched your blog
    Great work.
    In Poland with my friend to build Pathfinder started in February :)

  2. Thanks for the kind words. It's been an enjoyable build so far. Many small jobs. I look back and see how much has been done and wonder where the time went. Good luck on your Pathfinder. You should make a blog about it. An easy way to simply log your work.


  3. AnonymousMay 29, 2009

    Convince me to blog.
    Soon I send adress ;)