Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Transom Part 3

I cut my top stringer notches in the transom. Now I am to the staining preparation. I cut my hole for the tiller (hopefully in right place) and sanded the outside with 80 grit, then 120.

I sanded the last run with 220 grit sand paper on a sanding block my friends dad Maxwell Sr. made. A fantastic sanding block and I reserved the honor for the transom. The transom is a very visible part of the boat and I want a good job done. The 220 brought the wood to a fine sheen. very nice. (thanks for the kind gift Mr. Patten)
Since it is a softwood, I used a wood conditioner and waited 30 minutes before I applied the stain.
The stain was applied and left to soak for about 10 minutes. I tried a test piece earlier but the 20 minutes was too long and a dark color was the result. The picture is a little deceiving. It is a lighter shade that it appears.

Time: 1hr

I finally got excited about the project this evening. Seeing the transom turn out well and knowing that i'm out of frame production and into other parts. Once I laydown a layer of epoxy in this transom it's on to the centerboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment