Friday, May 9, 2008

Why?

Ever since my childhood when me and my dad built my first plywood pram, I have been wanting to build a sailboat of my own. That Pram had traveled the local lake many times on my small adventures. fishing, camping and just exploring. Two sets of oars and many repaired holes later I out grew the little boat and moved on to larger ones. But that one was my favorite. The boat was well known enough that it was even mentioned at my high school graduation by the MC. Oddly I don't think a picture exists of that particular boat. Pity. I've had several other sailboats since then, but since I never built them, I held no attachment to them. No soul or personality. Fiberglass tubs. Yes I'm sure many scoff at that statement and in a sense their right, fiberglass is many of the wonderful things that they say about it. But nobody can deny the charm and warmth of wood.
So now i try to embark upon this little journey of building a 17ft cruising sailboat designed by a well known NewZealand native John Welsford. A fine craft i must say. You may have noticed I said "try". It's a large project for me. unlike my many renovation projects it's unique in scale and when you think of such a project for so many years, you can't help but be overly cautious and excited at the same time. I don't want to be the Dreamer who never finished his dream. Buying endless sets of plans and wondering. That time is now over. It's soon time to build.
So Why am i building a sailboat? In a nutshell, because i've always wanted to, and because I can.
As a side note, it's not my "Dream Boat" but it is the one best suiting my current needs. That one will have to wait a couple more years.

No comments:

Post a Comment